Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentines in London

Happy Valentines Day!
This day always comes with mixed feelings, but whether you have a love or to you it is simply "singles awareness day", I hope you had a good one!
Well if you know my life story at all you know that I don't have a Valentine...so watching the flowers come to the door was difficult, but I was so excited for every girl who got something fun. Okay for those who don't know...I live with 36 other girl. Yes that means at least 8 to a room and LOTS of estrogen. This also means that there are lots of men back home thinking about these ladies, and I am lucky enough to be living with them...they are great. To my surprise, most of the girls have someone at home. So dozens and dozens of flowers arrived at the door and packages galore.
Despite the love in the air, I felt so loved as well by my family and friends. I have great friends back home and here and we made it a great day. I also got a package from my Mom and a letter from my grandpa, which made my day!
36 roses arrived addressed to "all the lovely ladies at 27 Palace Court"...the boys in the house pitched in to get us all one rose a piece :)
Our professors thought ahead and knowing that this was going to be an emotional "love" day they scheduled us to all be together. We got tickets for the Swan Lake Ballet!
We all had fun dressing up and getting ready together. The theme of the night seemed to be black and red (not surprising).
The last ballet I went to was the Nutcracker and it was yearsago. Well, ballet in London is very formal. Everyone gets all dolled up and excitement is in the air! The room is huge, but the seating is claustrophobic or "clausti" as my friends would say. There were no armrests and we were shoulder to shoulder with no room to even cross your legs.
The ballet started and after a half hour the curtain closes and the lights go up. Was it over? I think not. This proceeded to happen 4 times giving us 4 breaks so as you can imagine the ballet was not short. 3 1/2 hours to be exact!
It was long and we were tired by the time it was over, but it was a great night ending in lots of laughs and celebration over the loves in so many of the girls lives!
It was a great day in London. Probably the only Valentines I will ever spend in England, and it was one I will never forget!



No comments:

Post a Comment