Friday, February 25, 2011

Oxford & Priceless Moments

Okay so I am way behind on my blogging...I have no computer which makes it a little more difficult right now not only to blog but add pictures...so I will add pictures in later!
This week? Super busy. Lots of things have happened not only here in London with the program, but in my personal life as well!
The highlight for the week? Oxford University. Oxford is only about an hour outside of London and shirts are everywhere here at tourist shops making it vital that we take a trip there while we are all here. Last month we took a road trip to Cambridge University and to be honest, the two are totally different.
Personally, I liked Cambridge better. Totally different feel! Small town and the university is all clumped together so it feels somewhat like a campus. Oxford is much more spread out and in between the colleges is city. It felt like I went shopping and stopped in to look at different colleges, versus visiting a campus. But it was still neat to visit such a prestigious place! They only accept 50 US citizens making it very difficult for anyone to get in!
Our first stop was Christ's Church. This is where they filmed the Harry Potter first movie when they are coming into the great hall for dinner. They used a room in this Church for the great hall when they are assigned to their "houses". It was neat to see the stairs that they walk up. Everything seemed much smaller in real life...but that is how most things are here in England.

These are pictures of the great hall:




These are the stairs


Outside Christ's Church




We then took a break to get lunch at a cafe that was recommended to us...in all honesty it wasn't very good!! We got "french onion" soup and it did not look like normal french onion. In fact...it didn't look anything like french onion. The food was bland and was pricy for what we got. Bad lunch stop! But from what we heard, no one had any better of a lunch than we did and many different places were tried. I guess the food in Oxford is not exceptionally good...no surprise there.

"French Onion"


Our next stop: St. Mary's Church. This was another church in Oxford, but unlike Christ's Church, it is not part of one of the colleges at Oxford. It is a beautiful church that they have near by. Did I mention it was raining?! All. Day. Long. Which is why puffy coats and umbrellas were a must...

St. Mary's Church



We walked around exploring other parts of Oxford and took some fun photos of us in the rain




The rest of the day was spent shopping and looking around the city. It was such a great trip...

Precious moments?! There have been a ton this week. Moments that have made us all laugh, scream out of excitement and even cry. Big news...I got into the Public Relations program this week. I got an email with my letter attached about how I got into the program. This involved lots of screaming and jumping around together with my girlfriends who were all super excited. We went out and picked up Snog to celebrate!
Other exciting news...I got an email and was asked to work as an EFY counselor this summer. I am super excited!! I applied and interviewed before I left for London and was so excited to hear back from them.
Major: check. Job this summer: check.
Okay...I said there were tears and laughing and there definitely were plenty this week. Two days ago, I got up to use the bathroom at 4am. As I headed down the stairs I slipped off the top step, landed on my tailbone and rolled down the rest of the way. I landed on the landing in front of the bathrooms and was dying laughing at what had just happened. I hit the stairs so hard I swear I woke the whole house up. I laid there for a minute or so just in shock about what had happened. I have been struggling to sit through classes but every time I sit down and it hurts I just laugh at myself!
Then again, yesterday there was another stair incident. This time, it was not 4am, it was in the middle of the afternoon so my excuse of being half asleep doesn't apply! Somehow...don't ask me how...I twisted my toe funny and it threw me off balance. In an effort to catch myself I twisted my ankle and fell down the stairs. This time it was a combination of laughing and tears. It hurt SO bad, but I was laughing at myself because it was the second time this week.
My foot is wrapped, swollen and bruised. Luckily I can put weight on it so I don't have to use crutches, but I am officially a gimp and am slow getting around. It took me back to last year when I tore the ligaments in my foot. Thanks to all who have helped me get around both time this has happened...and I apologize for being so clumsy. Oh...I forgot to mention, the center has over 60 stairs up to my room, so the trek is 5 flights of stairs and 5 floors.
So a ton has happened this week...Oxford, PR, EFY, and injuries are only the surface as to all the fun that has happened this week!

I know I say this a ton, but time is going so fast. We are only 5 weeks away from being finished and it seems like we just got here even though we have done so many things.

March: travel month.
Next week is Italy then Wales, Ireland, France and Belgium! We are gone over half the month, and only have 4 days in March with nothing planned on the calendar. Time in London is limited and traveling only makes me appreciate England even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment