Saturday, January 15, 2011

bee me.

Before I get to today's events, I have to share something I found and absolutely loved. As apart of my day, we went to an open market, and there were restaurants up and down the streets on both sides. When I saw the logo on the door "bee me", I just had to go in!...





I ran into this little shop that has very natural food, yogurt, & smoothies. My intention was not to buy anything, but to find out more about the name. The idea came from the idea that bees love life's simple pleasures. The challenge is to be who you are, because everyone in the world is unique.

I left Phoenix International Airport to fly across the world and land in England. I then took a train and a taxi to arrive at a center that all by myself with two very large suitcases weighing exactly 50 pounds (thank you Dad, love you), and a backpack that felt like it weighed a million pounds after a an 11 hour journey.
I was alone and knew absolutely no one. I had briefly met several people, but I couldn't recall their names and was just grateful that someone answered the door for me!
Coming here by myself, meeting over 40 wonderful people that have no idea who you are will make you think about the person that you are inside and out. I appreciate not only this opportunity to be here in London, England, but the opportunity I have had to meet such wonderful girls. Being around new people and seeing what others are like makes you evaluate who you are and the person you want to be. I have to "bee me". And I have thought a lot recently about how I can better "bee me"! Our professor challenged us to really think hard about why we are here. Not what experiences we want to have here, or what we want to see, but why we are here, right now, with these people, and for what purpose. So I wrote my goals down hoping that I can be a better me when I get on that plane to take my long journey home back to people who know me and people that I know and love dearly. I feel like my goals are ones that are achievable and make a difference in the person that I am and aspire to be!
My challenge for you is to truly "bee you". Be your best self. Its never too late to make improvements and a change in your life for the better, that is what this life is all about. It doesn't take a trip to London to start making changes in your life this very moment... be the best you. Find a way be comfortable with who you are and have confidence to say to yourself I am going to "bee me"!


On that note...I had a wonderful day. It started with a morning walk to Portebello Market. It is an open market with tons of food and different vendors selling unique things. It was a TON of fun and so windy outside which made it super chilly.
A nap was definitely needed after our 3 hour ordeal. I came home and slept for a long time! We went out as a group of girls around 5 because the kitchen is closed today and meals are left up to us. We WALKED to Harrods...bad decision. It was much farther than we thought it was going to be so our 5 mile stroll through the park took over an hour. Needless to say, on the way home we decided to take the tube. Try two... it never fails in the city! Sometimes it takes trial and error.
Lets just say that not only is Harrods big, but there are tons of shops all down the streets. It was Saturday night and things were hoppin'. Harrods had tons of people, and its true what they say about not being able to afford a thing. We went to the ground floor and found dinner. There was so many different counters for food with cheese, meat, chocolate and fruit! We ended up at a pizzaria counter where I ordered soup...the best soup I have had since being here in England. Harrods is really fun and I am excited to go back! The best way I can describe it is it is an overpriced Nordstrom with every designer brand you could ever think of. I am convinced that all Londoners do is shop, shop, and do more shopping. Where do they get the money?!
Tonight ended with a bunch of us girls congregating in one room talking for hours and playing Uno. I am grateful for these "girl" moments that are definitely needed sometimes. Someday when I am married and have kids, I know I will treasure the late night girl talks and bonding moments. I just love the girls here!
So that's the big news for today. I will leave you with one last thought from the back of a card I picked up at "bee me"...


"Small, personal moments make all the difference to your day. They lift and inspire, make you smile. Keep you healthy and happy. They're part of everyday life, as nature intended it."


Find those small, personal, happy moments each and every day, and I wish you luck on your venture to being be best you and making the changes necessary so that you are happy to say...

"I love to "bee me"."

2 comments:

  1. You are so wonderful! I'm glad I found your blog :) I miss you! I'll respond to your email soon. love you cute girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I loved this post! I am going to try and become a better me before I see you again! Thanks for all of your inspiring words and comments! I love you dearly and can tell that you are making the most of this trip.
    Love--Mom

    ReplyDelete